Sweet William Garden Patch!

IMG_3667

Sweet William is a favorite bloom in my cottage garden landscape.  I had no idea when I planted just a couple of these plants a few years ago, what a beautiful patch of flowers it would be displayed this year.  This gorgeous section of the garden happened mostly because I was overwhelmed with the amount of of plants that needed cutting back last year and I just let this area go to seed!  As you can see the they did just that…not only did I receive an amazing amount of new plants but the colors are all so very different!

IMG_4280IMG_4286

 

Sweet William is also called Dianthus a variety of the carnation family. These flowers will bloom from now all the way throughout summer.  Although the blooms will not be as prolific as they are right now. If you are not familiar with Sweet Williams they grow about two feet tall.  The Sweet William is a biennial which means they do not produce flowers the first year but they will the second year.IMG_4279IMG_4283IMG_4284

I have planted these in a few other places in the landscape ~ but they seem to be happiest in this spot of the gardens.  This is a very dry spot and has good drainage, meaning not much water gets to them unless it rains!

IMG_4285 

Sweet William is just so easy to grow ~ I have not noticed any issues with insects and or diseases on the leaves or the flowers.  They are so easy to grow! 

IMG_4277IMG_4278

Hummingbirds and Butterflies are loving them too!

IMG_3387

What is your favorite flower in your garden right now?  Thank you so much for coming by and reading about my Sweet William this week – it’s a crazy time of year with the kids out now for summer vacation and all my garden chores!  Hope you have a chance to link up to this weeks garden party if you haven’t already done so!  Here is the link ~ so go take a peek around at all the pretty gardens! oxox, tracie

Comments

Abby said…
I love your Sweet Williams, great color!
Mindy said…
I don't have a single one if you can believe it. I need to change that! Sounds like the growing conditions would be perfect for my parking strip.

I keep meaning to tell you, I'm so sorry I haven't linked up in awhile. I have garden posts every week, but the time just gets away from me. Three kids at home all day will do that to ya. I really miss seeing everyone else's gardens, though, so I'm shooting for next week!!!
Beautiful pictures!
Dianthus barbatus' is lovely .... I love the diverse color combinations.

The Butterflies is so pretty too!

Eva Jorunn Norway
GRACE PETERSON said…
The first flower photo is one I also have and am going to collect seed for it because I really like the design. I have a bunch of them also and they are such beautiful cut flowers too. I love them. Great photos.
Unknown said…
This is so pretty! Thanks for sharing it at this week's Home Sweet Garden Party! You are on of this weeks featured posts! It is live now at http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2014/07/home-sweet-garden-party-71.html Hope you can join us again this week too! Hugs...Brooke
Tracie, I have patch of Sweet Williams in my front flower bed and another single plant in a galvanized bucket. I love them too! Mine are a shorter version and are just about through blooming. I always cut them back and get a second bloom. I have a hard leaving plants un deadheaded, but think maybe I will after the second bloom and see if I get lots more. Yours are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Popular Posts